The last episode of The Slowdown for radio broadcast will be on January 15, 2021.
Dear colleagues –
I am writing to deliver some important news about The Slowdown. After much consideration, the show has decided to put the podcast on hiatus and discontinue radio distribution of the program. We’d like to thank Tracy K. Smith, Pulitzer Prize winner and former U.S. Poet Laureate, and The Slowdown team for delivering to public radio airwaves a unique way to see the world each day though five minutes of poetry. In a note to her fans, host Tracy K. Smith wrote:
“As the season shifts, I’m also shifting, giving my attention back to family, to writing poems of my own, and to my wonderful students. I will miss this practice of rising early to write my Slowdown episodes or staying up late to record them. But I’ll hold on tightly to the joy that all of this has fostered in my life, which won’t end when the Slowdown goes on hiatus later this month.”Tracy K. Smith
To make this transition as seamless as possible for stations who currently carry The Slowdown, we recommend reviewing the details below.
- Episodes will be provided through Fri, Jan 15, 2021, with encore episodes running November 2 – Jan 15.
- APM will provide a sunset promo, available on Content Depot.
- Tracy will mention at the top of the Jan 15 show that it is the final broadcast.
Alternative programs that we recommend in place of The Slowdown include:
- Marketplace Tech – From Marketplace’s Molly Wood, this four-minute weekday module tells the stories of modern life through our digital economy.
- Composers Datebook – In this two-minute module, host John Birge presents a daily snapshot of composers’ past and present with timely information, intriguing musical events, and appropriate, accessible music related to each.
If you have any questions about this transition or alternative programming, do not hesitate to reach out to your Station Relations Representative.
Vice President of Distribution and Underwriting, American Public Media